Back to Knowledgebase
Checking for Rules Updates
At the beginning of each month DocketCalendar releases a compilation of changes that courts have made to the procedural rules for each "Jurisdiction" in your subscription. These monthly Amendment Notes can be reviewed in Rules Update Notes. The updates are also automatically fed to the Updates screen of the DCO Add-In. DCO will automatically check for updates every time the Add-In is opened and notify you when events relating to Triggers used in date calculations have changed. Even if you disabled the notification in Options, you can check manually for these updates by clicking the Updates button on the toolbar of the Use Rules screen. It is important to remember that Updates are only available if you have calculated events using DCO that have been subject to a rule change. Months may go by before you receive your first notification. Updates will appear on an Update screen, organized by Trigger, showing the affected events and what action needs to be taken:
- Delete. The change in the procedural rule eliminated the event and it should be deleted.
- Update. Some aspect of an event has been changed, usually the date calculation, and may require the current date to be updated.
- Add. A new event has been added and can be added to the events that have already been calculated.
To apply these Updates to the events you have created using DCO, you will need to activate them.
Receiving Update Notifications
You can disable automatic update notifications by changing the Check for Updates option from "Yes" to "No" on the General Options screen. With automatic notification enabled, after the first of the month a screen, containing a Rules Update Notifications, will appear each time you open the DCO Add-In. To display a screen with the events that need to be updated, click on the Show Updates button on the Rules Update Notification screen. Once you have processed and activated updates, you can prevent the notification from appearing by clicking "Do not remind me about this update".
With automatic notification disabled, you can view the Updates screen by clicking the update button on the right side of the Use Rules toolbar.
The Updates screen will be displayed, showing a list of events, grouped by the Trigger used to created them.
Displaying Events the Have Been Updated
When you click the Show Updates button on the notification screen or the Updates button on the Use Rules toolbar, the Updates screen will appear. In the top half of the screen, you will see a list of the Triggers whose events have changed in the past month. If you select a Trigger by clicking on it, a list of the events relating to the Trigger that have changed will appear in a list in the bottom half of the Updates screen.
Meaning of the Event Information Being Displaying
The Status field on the Events listing shows how the update will affect the event when you activate it, as described below. Each event will show one of three available statuses, reflecting changes in the applicable procedural rules:
- Added. The deadline or court event has been added by the procedural rules and will be added to the list of events.
- Deleted. The deadline or court event is no longer applicable and will be deleted.
- Updated. The rule used to calculate the date of the event has changed and the event date will be updated.
The Event Date is the date of the event when it was originally calculated.
To activate updates, you will go down the list of Triggers one at a time and review the events that are affected. Be aware that our notification that rules affecting the events have changed does not necessarily mean that you will want to update all of the events, especially updates that change an existing deadline. For example, perhaps the affected date has been changed by stipulation or is irrelevant to the type of case. Or perhaps under the case law in your jurisdiction, the change is deemed not to apply to pending cases. Consequently, whether to apply an update will be your decision based upon your understanding of the applicable procedural and substantive law. To active updates:
- Select a Trigger from the list.
The list of events relating to the Trigger that are affected by the update will be displayed. See Figure 1--Updates Screen.
- Double-click on the applicable Trigger item (in the upper list).
An Outlook appointment record will open, showing the Trigger and a complete list of the events based upon the Trigger, including the events that have changed.
Note: We recommend that you move the Outlook appointment record to the side of the Updates screen, so that you can see the original date for the event on the Updates screen and in the Outlook record at the same time.
- Click the Re-Calculate Events button in the listing in the appointment record.
- Updated. Any event with a status of "Updated" on Updates screen will show up with new date required by the changed procedural rule on the listing in the Outlook appointment.
- Added. Any event with a status of "Added" will appear in the listing with the date required by the procedural rules.
- Deleted. Any event with a status of "Deleted" will be removed from the listing.
By comparing the date and status of the original event on the Updates screen with the details of the event in the Outlook appointment record, you will be able to see the effect of the recalculation using the updated events.
- Once you are satisfied with the result of the recalculation, click the Update Checked Events button.
The updated events will be either added, updated or deleted from the Outlook calendars on which they appeared originally.
- When you are done updating the events, close the Outlook appointment record.
To see the updated date of an event in the Updates screen, click the refresh button at the top right of the Updates screen.
- If you are not ready to finalized these changes, simply exit the Outlook record without clicking the Update Checked Events button.
By clicking the Updates button on the Use Rules toolbar, you will be able to activate the updates when you are ready.